Monday, September 14, 2009

It takes a lot...


...to impress a guy whose mom cooks very good home-style vietnamese food. We tried Out The Door in the Food Emporium at SF Center (sister restaurant to Slanted Door), and were less than impressed, despite really wanting to like it. Their counter service was poor, but I could have overlooked it if their food was good, which it wasn't.
I have been on a quest for really good modern vietnamese food, and have tried a number of places, but what I keep finding is modern decor without an evolution in the flavors of traditional VN cooking. So I get annoyed when the dishes don't deliver anything new but they charge 3-4 times what one of my favorite spots charges. Just seems like a rip off. I am not writing the place completely off- maybe they have a couple of home run dishes (maybe you have a suggestion?)- but there are a dozen places I'd rather go for good VN food.

No comments:

Post a Comment